Just before the end of 2020 I hit an important milestone with Ongoing Remote: our first Google search impression!
This is of course a small victory, but after seeing zero impressions for several weeks, it’s reassuring to see a positive number. The ultimate goal of course is to get sales, but your conversion funnel needs to start somewhere.
- Impressions come before clicks
- Clicks come before starting the purchase process
- Starting the purchase process comes before completing the purchase process
This first impression wasn’t an explicit goal of mine, but I had been checking the Search Console nearly every day to see if it happened. But now I do want to set a goal: Ongoing Remote gets at least 10 Google search impressions in a single day in January 2021.
To do this, I need to do some SEO basics:
- Update and verify all of my meta tags
- Add robots.txt file
- Update my social media profiles to include links to Ongoing Remote
- Connect Twitter to my blog, as this blog includes back linking to Ongoing Remote
- Post a bit more on social media (I recently opened a Reddit account and started giving technical advice to startups)
So though my goal is 10 impressions per day by the end of the month, but I should shoot for much higher than that with my actions, to increase the probability that I hit the goal.